Sunday, September 7, 2008

A little late

My friend at www.hcgdiva.blogspot.com introduced me to the sublingual HcG protocol. For that, I am so eternally grateful!

I started the protocol August 31st (had meant to start the 30th on the Full Moon, but figured 3 days before/after would be sufficiently effective, and I was afraid to start, quite frankly). I gave myself 3 "load days" which I had so hoped to enjoy but found myself so stuffed I felt nauseated most of the time. I truly think part of the load days is to psychologically get you so sick of food that you don't mind eating next to nothing when you start on the Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) portion of the protocol.

I was told that a large part of this protocol is emotional. I've heard stories of people losing heaps of weight, only to gain it back because they never dealt with the emotions that were stored in their bodies from various traumas. The weight loss is just one aspect of it all. I've not sat down to write out the emotional discoveries I'm having and that's what this blog is all about. Less about tracking my physical progress (I have a fitness program for that) and more about addressing what is coming up for me that I've been repressing otherwise.

So first and formost, a huge THANK YOU to my dear friend at www.hcgdiva.blogspot.com for being brave enough to try this, and even braver to share her experiences. Without you, I don't think I'd have done this. I wasn't even aware of it until her but certainly not brave enough to try it without her.

So, some quick figures and then onward to the fun stuff.

Starting weight: 167.4 and start of my load days
Load day 2 weigh in: 166.6 (yeah, I know I actually lost - it happens to some, and is not typical)
Load day 3 weigh in: 167.6 (gain of 1 pound and .2 pounds over my original start weight)
Day one of my VLCD (and after 3 total load days): 168.7 - a total net gain of 1.3 pounds)

Now for the VLCD losses - Day 2 (after 1 day of 500 calories): 166.4 (2.3 pound loss)
Day 3: 165.2 (down another 1.2)
Day 4: 164.4 ( .8 pounds - had hoped for more, but will not complain - I blame all the salt that day)
Day 5 (today): 163.4 (1 pound even)


So from the very start I have lost a net 4 pounds. I have lost a total after the load days of 5.3 pounds.

As far as the losses go, I'm happy they're happening. I wish they were bigger losses as I've heard amazing stories of those starting this and their first week being out of this world with the losses. I've done Atkins and South Beach and had similar/better losses but could only lose about 5-10 pounds before everything stopped. So, we'll see. I need to give this a real go. Nothing else has worked. In fact, this is what I posted to a forum about that:

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for sharing your stories and your experiences. I feel like I'm finally home! This struggle with my weight has been lonely and hard fought. Hours of exercise and dieting to no avail. It certainly hasn't been for a lack of will power.

I am 5'. When I got pregnant with my son 8 years ago, I weighed 114. 3 months after having him (I gained 40 pounds during my pregnancy), I was down to 110 with diet and exercise.

When my son was 9 months old, my cycle returned and I gained 20 pounds in 1 month, and it slowly continued to climb. I couldn't imagine what was happening, only that it coincided with the return of my cycle so I knew something was going on with my hormones. My periods were lasting 7-10 days with a 5 day break and then another 3 days on again. Doctor after doctor simply told me that I was depressed and tried to get me on anti-depressants. Well of COURSE I was depressed! I was gaining weight at an alarming rate and I was having 2 periods a month, and my hair was falling out! Who wouldn't be depressed?! I tried a couple antidepressants but after 1 day on each of them, I knew it was a bad idea and stopped immediately.

After a lot of research, I found that I had the symptoms of hypothyroidism. The doctors had tested me for it but I was in the "normal" range. Then I found out that the "normal" range had changed, but that most doctors used the old ranges for diagnosis. I was not in the new range of "normal". Although it wasn't severe, it needed treatment. I found a doctor who would work with me and was put on Armour. Not much, but enough that it made the world of difference as far as my hair falling out. I didn't lose weight, but have maintained between 155-165 for the last couple years so long as I account for every calorie.

A girlfriend of mine started hCg last month. I knew nothing about it really, but watched her in fascination. She's been at this for about 3 weeks and has lost 20+ pounds! She is doing it sublingualy.

She gave me courage and I began to research. I am SO glad to find this list (and the others I've found) as I feel like I am reading my own story again and again and that THIS time, I may have finally found the answer! That I may actually be able to heal myself once and for all!

Thanks to all of you for your advice and for sharing your stories, pictures, and encouragement!

Okay, all that said, I'll post the emotional discoveries another day. This post is far too long as it is.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you! I know this will work. I'm 28.8 lbs down Total since June 21st! This 2nd round is more challenging but I'm still going down. Congrats!! Good Luck! I'm here for ya! and so happy you are joining me! Support rocks!

helderheid said...

Thank you so much! I appreciate all your support. You are such an INSPIRATION!! 28.8 pounds!!! WOW! Congrats!!

~H said...

I'm just starting to read your journal from the beginning to where you are right now so forgive my late comments!

You're such an inspiration to me as I'm 5'2" and starting at 167 similar to you :)